A Bold New Book From Mike McManus
How to Cut America's Divorce
Rate in Half: A Strategy Every State Should Adopt
With Foreword by Mike Huckabee
My purpose in writing this book is to provide the evidence needed
to spark reform of state No Fault Divorce laws which always grant a
divorce requested by one spouse. The current law in 49 states allows
one spouse to file for a divorce on grounds of “irreconcilable
differences,” and obtain the divorce in every case. What’s wrong
with that? In 80% of the cases their spouses believe the marriage is
reconcilable. The uniform granting of every divorce violates
Constitutional guarantees of “due process of law.” How can there be
due process if the spouse who wants to save the marriage always
loses? That is unjust as well as unconstitutional.
If children are involved, it is tragic. Children need to be
brought up by their own married mother and father. The best parents
are married parents. “About 28% of our nation’s children – more than
20 million kids – will go to bed tonight without their father in the
home. These children are much more likely to fail in school, to
become pregnant as teenagers and to get in trouble with the law,”
asserts Professor Brad Wilcox of the University of Virginia.
|Mike McManus has written
the nationally syndicated column, “Ethics & Religion” since
1981. He is President and Co-Founder with his wife, Harriet,
of Marriage Savers, a non-profit organization that has
helped the clergy of 223 cities to create Community Marriage
Policies that have reduced divorce and cohabitation rates
and increased marriage rates. This is his first book to call
for a political solution to America’s divorce rate, which is
the highest in the world.
Therefore, this book proposes that if there is no major fault
alleged, such as adultery or physical abuse, in cases of couples who
have children – that no divorce would be granted unless both the
mother and father agree. This would replace No Fault Divorce with
Mutual Consent Divorce in cases involving children. Key American
religious and legal leaders predict this single step could cut
divorce rates in half in any state which passed the reform.
|ENDORSED BY LEADERS
to read their full comments.
- Tony Perkins, President, Family Research Council and author of the nation’s
first covenant marriage law.
- Stephen Baskerville, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Government at
Patrick Henry College and author of “Taken Into Custody: The War Against
Fathers, Marriage, and the Family”
- John Crouch, Director, Americans For Divorce Reform
- Don Wildmon, Chairman, American Family Association.
- Rev. Richard Cizik, Vice President of the National Association of
- George Gallup, Jr. Founder George H. Gallup International Institute
- Dr. Richard Land, President. The Southern Baptist Convention’s Ethics &
Religious Liberty Commission
- Bishop Gerald A. Gettelfinger, Catholic Diocese of Evansville
- Robert P. George, McCormick Professor of Jurisprudence, Princeton
- Katherine Spaht, Professor Emeritus, Landry Professor of Law, Louisiana
- Pastor Jeff Meyers. Christ Lutheran Church, Overland Park, Kansas
- David and Claudia Arp, founders Marriage Alive International and
authors of “10 Great Dates Before You Say ‘I Do.’”
- W. Bradford Wilcox, Ph.D., associate professor of sociology at the
University of Virginia and member of the James Madison Society, Princeton